Monday, June 05, 2006

My Carberator Synchronizer

Ok, I didn't invent this--the design comes from:

In my case, I took a couple of baby bottles (we've got plenty laying around) that had screw on caps (not nipples, but caps that seal the bottle for transport, etc).

Cut two 3/16" holes in each cap. 1/4" vinyl tubing will be fed through each hole (the slightly larger but pliable tubing will seal the hole).

Tape the bottles together. Feed a length of tubing from one cap to another, but make sure that when the caps are on the bottles, that the tubing inside is long enough to go to the bottom of each bottle.

Feed two more lengths of tubing into each of the remaining holes. These only need to penetrate about 1/2 to 1 inch into the bottle. The other ends of this tubing is what will be connected to the vacuum ports of your carberator.

Fill each bottle about 1/3 full of liquid. I used 5w30 motor oil because it was onhand. Other people have tried water, ATF, or 2-stroke oil. I think any liquid will work, but you have to consider the "what if" scenario of having the liquid sucked into the carb.

Screw the caps onto the bottles (you'll have to twist the tubings to keep everything straight).

Now, equalize the bottles. Blow into one side to force the liquid through the linking tube until all of the air is forced out. Then blow into the other side until the liquid in both bottles are level.

At this point, you can connect the tubes to your carberator and start the engine. If the carbs are not in sync, then the liquid level in one bottle will go higher than another. Make your adjustments, and see what happens to the levels.

This picture shows my #1 and #2 carbs in sync after adjustments were performed.

It's cheap, but a little bit of a hassle for 4 carbs. I had to do #1 and #2 (left screw), and then #3 and #4 (right screw), and then #1 and #4 (center screw), which required unhooking the tubes each time.